Frequently Asked Questions
How do I become a California Correctional Health Care Services (CCHCS) employee?
- From our main page select “Search Bulletins.” Review each one until you find one or more that matches your education and experience. If interested, complete the appropriate self-assessment or exam. (Some are online self-assessments/exams, depending on the job, and others are a paper application exam process.)
- If you complete an online assessment/exam, you will receive your score immediately. If the assessment/exam is not online, you will need to follow the hyperlink, download the appropriate paperwork, complete it, and return it to the address listed. You should receive your score within approximately three weeks of receipt.
- Once you have a successful score, you may begin to apply for vacancies. To find vacancies, from our main page, select “Search Vacancies.”
When will I receive my results after completing an assessment or exam?
If the assessment/exam was completed online, you will receive your score immediately. For assessments/exams that are not available online the score will be available after the documents have been received and processed by CCHCS, which usually occurs within three weeks after the date of submission. If you have not received a formal notification containing your score by the end of that three week period, please contact CCHCS Examination Services at (916) 691-5894. Be prepared to provide your first and last name and the examination title for which you applied.
Can I still apply even if I don’t meet all of the requirements?
Some jobs allow you to take the assessment/exam before you meet all of the minimum requirements (i.e., length of job experience, education, license or credential requirements), on the condition that you meet those requirements by the time you are hired.
- Chief Dentist, Correctional Facility
- Chief Physician and Surgeon, Correctional Facility
- Chief Psychiatrist, Correctional and Rehabilitative Services (Safety)
- Clinical Social Worker, Health/Correctional Facility (Safety)
- Dental Hygienist, Correctional Facility
- Dentist, Correctional Facility
- Medical Technical Assistant (Psychiatric)
- Nurse Consultant I/II
- Nurse Consultant III (Spec. & Sup.)
- Nurse Instructor, Correctional Facility
- Nurse Practitioner, Correctional Facility
- Nursing Consultant, Program Review
- Occupational Therapist, Correctional Facility
- Pharmacist I
- Physical Therapist I, Correctional Facility
- Physician Assistant, Correctional Facility
- Psychiatric Technician (Safety)
- Psychologist-Clinical, Correctional Facility
- Public Health Nurse I/II, Correctional Facility
- Radiologic Technologist, Correctional Facility
- Registered Dietitian, Correctional Facility
- Registered Nurse, Correctional Facility
- Senior Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Correctional Facility
- Senior Psychiatrist (Spec. & Sup.), Correctional Facility
- Senior Psychologist (Spec. & Sup.), Correctional Facility
- Senior Radiologic Technologist, Correctional Facility (Spec.)
- Staff Psychiatrist, Correctional and Rehabilitative Services (Safety)
- Supervising Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Correctional Facility
- Supervising Dental Assistant, Correctional Facility
- Supervising Psychiatric Social Worker I, Correctional Facility
How do I verify my eligibility and store after completing an assessment/exam?
To verify your eligibility and score please follow the steps below.
- Log in to your CalCareers account at www.jobs.ca.gov.
- Click the “Exam/Assessment Records” link from the list on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Select the “Active Eligibility” tab to view the list(s) by classification for which you are currently eligible.
- Select the “Exam Notifications” tab to view both your assessment results (score and ranking) and any scheduled future assessments/exams. Please note that it may take up to three business days for online assessment/exam results and three to six weeks for paper assessment/exam results to appear under this tab.
Please note that some eligibility lists have up to nine ranks. Candidates must be in the top three ranks to be considered reachable and subsequently eligible for hire. Most of the licensed medical, dental, and mental health eligibility lists consist of only three ranks.
What is Veterans’ Preference, and how do I apply?
Veterans’ Preference is an assistance program aimed at helping eligible individuals who are seeking employment with the state. Any veteran, widow/widower of a veteran, or spouse of a 100% disabled veteran who achieves a passing score on the assessment/exam, shall be moved to the top rank of the eligibility list. Veterans who have been dishonorably discharged or released are not eligible for Veterans’ Preference.
Please note that not all assessments/exams qualify for Veterans’ Preference, so be sure to review the bulletin carefully.
To apply for Veterans’ Preference, please visit www.jobs.ca.gov and select the icon titled, “Veterans,” located in the middle of the page. Next, select the icon titled, “Veterans’ Information.” Be sure to read the page thoroughly, as it provides detailed instructions regarding the application process.
I applied for a job. When will I be contacted for an interview?
When you apply for a job your application is sent to the Human Resources (HR) Office, where it goes through a screening process. Only the most competitive applications pass the screening process. Those that pass the screening process are then forwarded on to a hiring manager for further review. The hiring manager determines from these applications which candidates to interview. If you are successful, a CCHCS staff person will contact you by telephone to schedule your interview. Please note that the screening and review process may take as little as a few weeks or as long as several months.
Employment with CCHCS is very competitive. To make your application standout, be sure to carefully describe in detail as much of your employment history as possible and list all of your professional degrees, licenses, and certifications.
Most importantly, do not be discouraged if you do not hear from CCHCS right away. Even if you have submitted multiple applications for one institution, your application may be reviewed by a different hiring manager each time, or for a similar position requiring different skill-sets. We encourage you to keep trying.
How do I verify and/or change which conditions of employment I selected on the assessment/exam, such as work location, tenure, and time base preferences?
When completing an assessment/exam you must enter or select employment conditions, such as the location(s) where you are willing to work, tenure, and time base preferences. To verify and/or change the preferences you selected on the assessment/exam, follow the steps below.
- Log in to your CalCareers account at www.jobs.ca.gov.
- Click the “Exam/Assessment Records” link from the list on the left-hand side of the screen. Your completed exam(s)/assessment(s) will be listed under the “Active Eligibility” tab.
- Click the List Code link of the exam/assessment for which you would like to change your preferences.
- Click “Change Conditions of Employment” under “Eligibility Records Actions” on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Click on the tab for the preference you wish to change. Please note that the only preferences that may be changed at this time are the working locations, tenure, and time base.
- Make appropriate changes.
- Click “Save.”
How do I find out where vacancies exist?
Information about vacancies can be accessed several ways:
- Click on the “Careers” tab at the top of this page.
- Select a job category under the “Areas of Opportunities” section, or click the “Search Vacancies and Apply” button in the middle of the screen.
- Under the “Job Category” box select one or more that interest you.
- Select a job location from the “Location” drop-down menu.
- Select a region from the “Region” drop-down menu.
- Enter any applicable keywords in the “Keywords” box.
- Click the “Begin Search” button to locate vacancies under the criteria you selected. Or, click the
“All Vacancies” button to search for all available jobs. A page with a list of available jobs will appear.
- Click the link for the job in which you are interested.
- Call our toll-free number (877)793-4473 and speak to a recruiter.
- Send us an email at email@example.com
Does CCHCS offer part-time positions?
CCHCS offers three time bases for part-time positions:
- Part-Time Permanent – The employee works the amount of time required to be compensated on an hourly rate of pay. The job bulletin will indicate the number of required hours.
- Part-Time Limited-Term – The employee works the amount of time required to be compensated on an hourly rate of pay up to a maximum of two years. Limited-Term appointments do not confer civil service employment rights beyond the specified time period.
- Permanent Intermittent – The employee works periodically or for a fluctuating portion of the full-time work schedule. A Permanent Intermittent employee may work up to 1,500 hours in any calendar year. The hours and work schedule are based on the needs of the individual institutions.
Does CCHCS offer loan repayment options?
CCHCS participates in the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Federal Loan Repayment Program.
For more information about this program, please visit the NHSC website: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/loanrepaymentprogram.html
Does CCHCS accept work visas?
For some jobs CCHCS accepts the H-1B, J-1 Waiver, and TN visas, as well as the National Interest Waiver and PERM petitions. Be aware that obtaining visas or waivers is a lengthy process and outcomes are not guaranteed.
Web Accessibility Assistance
The Careers portion of this site (i.e., creating your candidate profile, applying for jobs, taking examinations) is undergoing updates to add improved functionality and accessibility to the public. Some features and content may not be available during the transition.If you are in need of assistance, please email us at MedCareers@cdcr.ca.gov or call us at (877) 793-4473.